Watching PR traffic from selected sources

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

AJC Addresses King Funeral

Sherry Frank, executive director of AJC's Atlanta Chapter, was invited by the King family to speak at today's funeral. Sherry is slated to be the sole Jewish speaker. Below is the full text of Sherry's remarks.

Coretta Scott King Cast a Long Shadow

Coretta Scott King is gone. The King family lost a beloved mother and relative. The Civil Rights movement lost a devoted activist. The country lost a champion for justice and the Jewish community lost a loyal friend.

Countless people, touched by Coretta Scott King's kindness and inspired by her determination to continue the struggle for a better America, feel a deep sense of pain and loss.

I share that sense of pain and loss, yet feel so blessed to have been able to work with Mrs. King and witness first hand her concern for people and her unwavering commitment to Black-Jewish relations.

As I think about my work with the American Jewish Committee over these past 25 years, I remember fondly her participation in the meetings of the Atlanta Black-Jewish Coalition, co-chaired by Congressman John Lewis, and held often at the King Center.

I remember the gratitude we felt when Mrs. King joined members of the Coalition in denouncing anti-Semitism and honoring Holocaust memory.

I remember Mrs. King hosting a reception with us to welcome Israeli Consul General Mohamed Massarwa, Israel's first Arab member of their diplomatic corps.

I remember telling her that I was going to the Soviet Union to meet with Soviet Jews, including the wives of refuseniks whose husbands were in prison for their activism. She autographed three of her books and asked me to bring these to them in solidarity with their struggle to be free.

I remember the reenactments of the historic March on Washington. One year most Jewish organizations chose not to participate due to concern with the extremist positions of some co-sponsors. Mrs. King refused to let that cause a rift in the long history of strong Black-Jewish relations. The Jewish community held a rally at the King Center before she left for Washington and the first speech she made after returning to Atlanta was Shabbat morning at Congregation Shearith Israel.

I remember calling her to ask if we could list her name in an ad the American Jewish Committee placed in the New York Times calling on Iraq to stop firing SCUD missiles into Israel. She signed the ad, once again rejecting violence and supporting Israel's right to live in peace. I remember marching in Selma, Forsyth County and Washington with her. Her strength gave us all strength. Her tireless dedication to the cause of equality inspired generations.

I remember our hard work and the enormous thrill of success in achieving a National Holiday to celebrate the life and work of Dr. King. My favorite thing in my office is the flag from the first holiday observance.

I remember the countless meetings planning King Week activities and her sensitivity to including Jewish participation. Each November I anticipated the call from Dora McDonald, in Mrs. King's office at the King Center, asking for the name of a rabbi to read from the Scriptures at the Ecumenical Service on the King Holiday.

I remember the pride I felt when Mrs. King asked me to introduce her before she gave her State of the King Center Address during King Week. I likened her journey to that of biblical Miriam who led her people through the parted seas with music and timbrel in hand. Mrs. King, a gifted musician, also led her people through the troubled waters of our times.

I feel a tremendous loss today. Goodbye Coretta Scott King. Thanks for casting such a giant shadow and allowing me to walk among the thousands in your path.

May her memory forever be a blessing.


To remove yourself from all mailings from American Jewish Committee, please click here.

To modify your profile, please click here.

No comments: